Friday 6 July 2012

Chennai


We arrived late last night and it is difficult to get the feel of places sometimes I find when you arrive late.  We pre-paid taxi it to our dive of a hotel.  Well I'm sure we'll see worse but this is our worst looking and I think smelling one so far.  It is right next to a busy road so all I can hear are cars beeping constantly.  We were on a train from 9am until after 11pm to get here so any bed would have done last night.

 Home sweet home.


Mmm our lovely beds.  It was like a crime scene under those sheets.

The good thing I suppose is that you get out of the hotel a lot quicker than normal and out into the city.  Chennai I find is almost like Delhi in feel.  Big, loud, smelly and noisy.  We went wondering and got Masala Dosai for lunch which was alright then went looking for a place to chill.  That mission was rather fruitless in the end but a nice hotel across the road let us use their internet  for free.

I have my fear back though.  The road in front of our hotel is so busy and there aren't really any crossings so you have to have to be brave which I'm finding hard.  I've taken to standing between Indian people because they seem to know what they're doing and also if we do get  run over they'll act a shield for me.  Bad I know.  I feel I take 1 step forward and a million back with Indian roads.  I'll be leaving India not feeling as though I've conquered the road system! It's strangely frustrating and I am ashamed to say made me want to cry in the middle of the road.




On a totally unrelated note Andy and I have demolished the first season of Game of Thrones.  Who knew it would so addictive.  We love you Sean Bean!

I diverge.

Anyway we fly out to the Andamans tomorrow and leave this beepyness behind for some island life.  I know that I could never live in an Indian city because I dont think I would feel totally at peace.  I know a lot of people come out to Indian cities and fall in love with the bustle of it all and I suppose if you throw yourself in fearlessly it can be quite a ride.

I however, totally see myself as an old granny living out her days in the backwaters of Kerala.  Picking my mangoes and guavas and smoking up all my banana leaves.  My grandma would despair!  We still have far to go though, so dont send out a rescue party just yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment